Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Prince Harry and Meghan to visit Nigeria to talk Invictus Games -WealthRoots Academy
Burley Garcia|Prince Harry and Meghan to visit Nigeria to talk Invictus Games
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 22:51:46
Prince Harry and Burley GarciaMeghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, will travel to Nigeria in May for meetings about the Invictus Games, the sporting event for military personnel wounded in action that Harry founded 10 years ago.
A Sunday statement from Brig. Gen. Tukur Gusau, a spokesperson for Nigeria's military, confirmed the upcoming visit and said Harry and Meghan would meet service members and participate in a variety of cultural activities. The statement did not say exactly when the couple were expected to arrive in the African nation.
Harry has long said Africa is close to his heart. He and his brother William, the Prince of Wales, have visited regularly since first being taken as children by their father, now King Charles III, and their late mother Princess Diana.
The couple's trip is likely to come not long before or after Harry returns to London for a May 8 thanksgiving service to mark the 10th anniversary of the Invictus Games Foundation. It will be his first trip to the U.K. since he paid a fleeting visit to see his father in February after the king's cancer diagnosis was revealed. Harry will attend the event in London without the duchess, as she and the couple's children will not join him in the U.K. for this visit.
Modeled after the U.S. military's Warrior Games, Harry founded the Invictus Games in 2014 to offer wounded veterans, specifically, a new sports challenge.
The couple's trip to Nigeria, which participated in last year's games, will "consolidate Nigeria's stronghold at the games and the possibility of hosting the event in later years," Gusau said.
- In:
- Nigeria
- British Royal Family
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
- Africa
- Meghan Duchess of Sussex
Lucia Suarez Sang is an associate managing editor at cbsnews.com. Previously, Lucia was the director of digital content at FOX61 News in Connecticut and has previously written for outlets including FoxNews.com, Fox News Latino and the Rutland Herald.
TwitterveryGood! (38)
Related
- Sam Taylor
- Ghost gun manufacturer agrees to stop sales to Maryland residents
- The Best Makeup Removers by Type With Picks From Olivia Culpo, Chloe Bailey, Paige DeSorbo, and More
- Kate Spade Outlet's Novelty Shop Is The Best Kept Secret For Trendy Style, With Deals Starting at $19
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Abortion rights could complicate Republican Larry Hogan’s Senate bid in deep blue Maryland
- 'Extremely devastated and angry': WWE's Shotzi has torn ACL, will be out for 'about 9 months'
- Man arrested in Audrii Cunningham's death was previously convicted on child enticement charges
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Revenue soars for regulated US sports betting industry in 2023; total bets spike, too
Ranking
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Shoppers Say This TikTok-Loved $1 Lipstick Feels Like a Spa Day for Their Lips
- Alabama hospital puts pause on IVF in wake of ruling saying frozen embryos are children
- 'Flying over water': Why this electric car-boat vehicle will move like a plane
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- The Daily Money: Car insurance is getting pricey
- Charges dropped against Florida family accused of attacking gay man in relationship with adult son
- Child hospitalized after 4 fall through ice on northern Vermont lake
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Financially struggling Met Opera to present 18 productions next season, the fewest since 1980-81
'Heartbroken': 2 year old killed after wandering into road, leaving community stunned
Should Caitlin Clark stay at Iowa or go to WNBA? How about the Olympics? It's complicated
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Man charged in mass shooting at Fourth of July parade near Chicago to stand trial next February
Federal student loans for nearly 153,000 borrowers are being automatically canceled, Biden says
Flint man becomes first person charged under Michigan’s new gun storage law